Partnering with the World’s Biggest Garage Sale

As it works to become a more circular business, Officeworks established a new partnership in early 2020 with Brisbane-based social enterprise, the World’s Biggest Garage Sale. Led by CEO and Co-Founder Yasmin Grigaliunas, the organisation works to support the circular economy by repairing, repurposing, reusing, recycling and reselling products that may otherwise be sent to landfill.

While Officeworks is committed to selling quality home and office furniture, inevitably there is a small amount that may be unfit for sale due to damage incurred while in transit. In the first instance, team members consider what items can be repaired, or where safe to do so, sold as is. Failing that, the nature of the products mean they may need to be disposed of in the landfill bin. As it continues its journey to become a zero-waste business, finding solutions for these types of products has become an Officeworks priority.

The partnership with World’s Biggest Garage Sale has provided a solution, by enabling the business to divert these products from landfill to warehouse.  Team members are able to identify the specific issue with the products and take the time to repair or repurpose them so that they can extend their economic life. In March this year, the team hosted their first garage sale to the public where the repaired and repurposed furniture along with other products was sold. Initial results show that of the products received, 90 per cent were identified for resale and a further 8 per cent were recycled, diverting a total of 98 per cent from landfill.

The initial pilot, where products were returned to the Queensland warehouse, has demonstrated positive environmental and social outcomes. Officeworks looks forward to continuing the partnership with the World’s Biggest Garage sale as it plans to extend the collection of imperfect furniture from other stores.