Wesfarmers - a diversified corporation
From its origins in 1914 as a Western Australian farmers' cooperative, Wesfarmers has grown into one of Australia's largest listed companies. With headquarters in Western Australia, its diverse business operations cover: supermarkets, liquor, hotels and convenience stores; home improvement; office supplies; department stores; and an industrials division with businesses in chemicals, energy and fertilisers, industrial and safety products and coal. Wesfarmers is one of Australia's largest private sector employers with around 210,000 employees and has a shareholder base of approximately 500,000. The primary objective of Wesfarmers is to provide a satisfactory return to its shareholders.
The company aims to achieve this by:
- satisfying the needs of customers through the provision of goods and services on a competitive and professional basis;
- providing a safe and fulfilling working environment for employees, rewarding good performance and providing opportunities for advancement;
- contributing to the growth and prosperity of the countries in which it operates by conducting existing operations in an efficient manner and by seeking out opportunities for expansion;
- responding to the attitudes and expectations of the communities in which the company operates;
- placing a strong emphasis on protection of the environment; and
- acting with integrity and honesty in dealings both inside and outside the company.