Wesfarmers - a diversified corporation
From its origins in 1914 as a Western Australian farmers' cooperative, Wesfarmers has grown into one of Australia's largest listed companies and employers. Its diverse business operations cover: supermarkets, department stores, home improvement and office supplies; coal mining; chemicals, energy and fertilisers; and industrial and safety products. The primary objective of Wesfarmers is to provide a satisfactory return to its shareholders.
The company aims to achieve this by:
- satisfying the needs of customers through the provision of goods and services on a competitive and professional basis;
- providing a safe and fulfilling working environment for employees, rewarding good performance and providing opportunities for advancement;
- contributing to the growth and prosperity of the countries in which it operates by conducting existing operations in an efficient manner and by seeking out opportunities for expansion;
- responding to the attitudes and expectations of the communities in which the company operates;
- placing a strong emphasis on protection of the environment; and
- acting with integrity and honesty in dealings both inside and outside the company.